Maylands Golf Club is located inside the M25 near the junction with the A12. Harry Colt designed the course in 1936. Colt continues to be one of the most influential golf course architects; his designs include both the East and West courses at Wentworth, Sunningdale and Royal Portrush.
Maylands was run as a traditional members club until 1979. It was then acquired by one of the members and it has been run by that family ever since. Much of the original character has been retained.
The clubhouse has been developed within a traditional agricultural barn. It has been extended over the years and has an area of approximately 550 sq metres (6,000 sq ft.).
In the words of the agents, Strutt & Parker incorporating William Hillary Leisure & Hotels, “the current owner has managed the business to suit his lifestyle and has not sought to maximise profits.”
There are maximum membership levels agreed between the present owner and the club committee but this is an informal agreement. Total membership in June 2002 was 435 including 292 full members (265 men and 27 ladies).
The owner now wishes to retire.
Total turnover has fallen from just over £500,000 in 1999 to £446,237 in 2001. These figures include bar sales but exclude other catering which is provided by a third party on an informal arrangement. “The business is currently under performing,” say the agents. “There is therefore the potential to increase both turnover and profitability.”
The guide price for the freehold is £2.5 million
Strutt & Parker www.struttandparker.com