The important findings from the inaugural ‘Golf Salary & Benefits Study 2010’, a comprehensive report providing golf industry professionals with the most detailed remuneration, benefits and staff development information from the golf industry, have been published.
Managers from across the EMEA golf and club industry took part in the online study, compiled by research experts IFM Sports Marketing Surveys, and were asked a range of questions covering key areas of employment and professional development, including remuneration, training, individual career development and current business conditions.
For the first time, the findings reveal how the global economic downturn has impacted the EMEA industry with golf holiday destinations, particularly France, Italy and Spain, adversely affected from a reduction in employee numbers as businesses battle to reduce costs.
However, on an overall ‘all-regions’ perspective, over half of the facilities canvassed retained the same staffing levels in 2009 as in 2008, and one in five increased their number of employees in this period.
The study also highlighted how businesses are weathering the storm. Over 60% of respondents now outsource jobs to create a more flexible cost base – including food and beverage services and golf coaching roles – whilst they also focus on delivering relevant training and incentives for their full-time employees.
Jerry Kilby, Chief Executive Officer of the CMAE, said: “There is a wealth of information contained in this study and we would encourage club managers, owners and committees across the EMEA region to use these reliable and up-to-the-minute results to help make sound business decisions going forwards.
“What the study also highlights is the need for many clubs to consider increasing their investment in education programmes for club management and general staff. With only 56% of clubs having a sufficient budget for education and training, that leaves a massive 44% of clubs who do not invest enough in this area of business, which arguably is more important now in these challenging times, when clubs need their management teams to deliver innovative and proven programmes to encourage more people into our clubs. ”
Richard Wood, Director of Colt Mackenzie McNair, working exclusively in the golf markets of Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, said: “What we’ve created with the Golf Salary and Benefits Study is a detailed reference document that will help senior executives develop their businesses and grow and retain the best talent.”
- 40% of respondents earned in excess of €60,000 per annum
- Nearly three-quarters of clubs surveyed had gross annual revenues of less than €2,000,000. Regional variations were evident, and one-in-ten UK and Ireland clubs boasted revenues over €5,000,000 per annum.
- Over half of the facilities retained the same staffing levels in 2009 as in 2008, and one in five increased their number of employees in this period.
- 90% of clubs perceived there was a need for further training. Most had budget for this, but over 33% said money allocated was insufficient. Scandinavia was the most likely region to focus on training.
- 25% said they would consider working away from their country of birth with 12% already doing so.
- Managers in the UK and Ireland received less annual leave than counterparts in other markets. In contrast, those from Scandinavia and Germany were rewarded with at least 30 days’ annual holiday.
- Neither degree-level education nor a professional qualification were prerequisites of a senior role, and only 50% of respondents had either.
- Management bonus schemes are most common in the UK and Ireland. However, it was not usual for managers to be awarded in excess of €10,000 per annum.
- Only 30-40% of employees qualified for a bonus scheme at all.
- Over 50% of managers had more than 10 years’ experience of golf club management.
Tony Scott, Head of Golf Research at IFM Sports Marketing Surveys, said: “This document contains important information about the current marketplace with valuable intelligence on salaries and other benefits received by staff in each region. It also offers insight into what different regions are doing in the midst of this economic crisis.
“It will undoubtedly help employers understand what they need to offer to ensure they employ the best people, retain them and give their businesses a head-start in this tough environment.”
A full copy of the Golf Salary and Benefits Study 2010 can be downloaded from the CMAE website www.cmaeurope.org
Colt Mackenzie McNair www.coltmm.com