The widest geographic spread of students for many years has now been selected for the 2021/23 cohort of the EIGCA Vocational Qualification in Golf Course Design (EVQGCD).
With the course due to start in May 2021, six students from six countries will embark on the two-year EVQGCD programme:
- Leandro Ezpeleta (Argentina) – has been heavily involved in golf in Argentina for many years and has more recently been involved in the design and construction of golf courses in his home country.
- Abril Ortiz (Mexico) – a design associate working for EIGCA member, Agustin Piza, MEIGCA, at Piza Golf in Mexico.
- Abdullah Kamakhi (Saudi Arabia) – a Landscape Architect Officer at Golf Saudi
- Sergio Carballo Perez (Spain) – an architecture graduate and PHD student studying territorial dynamics of golf courses in northwest Spain.
- Pontus Leijon (Sweden) – a PGA professional who has played elite level golf at both amateur and professional levels before concentrating more recently on beginning a career in the golf design industry.
- Richard Allen (Wales) – a qualified civil engineer who is now the CEO of EcoBunker Ltd which provides a number of innovative solutions to the golf design and construction industry.
This intake is the first to study under the restructured EVQGCD programme. Niall Glen, Chair of EIGCA’s Education Board, says: “The EVQGCD is now structured as one Foundation year followed by one Advanced year. The restructuring of the course provides more places and opportunity in the Foundation year, but students will need to demonstrate determination, passion and talent to reach the required level to progress to the Advanced year where the assignments will prepare them for a move into the profession.
“We wish these six students every success in their studies and look forward to seeing them progress towards graduation and being granted EIGCA’s Candidate for Membership status.”
Graduates of the EVQGCD are confirmed as EIGCA Candidates for Membership and awarded one of the following designations:
- CfM – EVQGCD Graduate with Distinction
- CfM – EVQGCD Graduate with Merit
- CfM – EVQGCD Graduate
Details of the restructured EVQGCD programme are found here