Victory at the Portugal Masters came for PING Tour Staff player Tom Lewis in only his third event as a professional. This compares favourably with Tiger Woods who won his first pro tournament in his fifth start.
Tom played 14 PING clubs and in his bag were the following:
- G20 9.5 Driver (Aldila Voodoo XNV6) 45.5” 9.5 (Club head speed 112mph)
- G5 3 and 5 wood (Aldila XVS7 & NV75X) 43” and 42.5”
- S56 irons 3-PW X100 Step Strong, Std length Black Colour Code, All grips, id8 ½ Cord white
- Anser Wedges 52,58 Red Lie 52, purple lie 58(new atSt Andrewswhich was his 2nd event)
- ScottsdaleWolverine H (33.5” Red Lie)
This result means that Tom moves from 621st to 166th in the world rankings and has no need to concern himself with this winter’s ‘Q’ School. His victory inPortugalbrings him a two-year exemption (as well as £375,000)
Tom Lewis came to international attention when he won the silver medal as leading amateur at this year’s Open Championship at Royal St George’s. Now his career has reached a new level.
“Even prior to this impressive win, the level of interest in Tom was remarkable and that has just significantly increased,” said Guy Kinnings of IMG. “In my 20 years in golf management few players have made quite such an emphatic entry onto the professional stage as Tom.”