The Gleneagles Hotel has announced the junior golfers who have been selected to take part in The Gleneagles Foundation’s inaugural 12-month scholarship programme.
The lucky 13 aspiring golfers, ranging in age from 8 to 17, were announced at an event at The PGA National Academy, Gleneagles, hosted by local legend Colin Montgomerie. The Foundation Players were treated to a round of golf with the former Ryder Cup Captain, almost one year exactly since the Perthshire venue hosted the 2014 Matches.
The selected players are:
- Conor Graham, aged 8, from Blairgowrie (Blairgowrie GC)
- Grace Rita Crawford, aged 8, from North Berwick (Gullane GC)
- Gregor Graham, aged 11, from Blairgowrie (Blairgowrie GC)
- Cormac Sharpe, aged 11, from Blairgowrie (Blairgowrie GC)
- Sebastian Sandin, aged 12, from Dunblane (Dunblane New GC)
- Jamie Roberts, aged 13, from Kinross (Muckhart GC)
- Zoe Morton, aged 14, from Auchterarder (Auchterarder GC)
- Shannon Pook, aged 14, from Auchterarder (Auchterarder GC)
- Ross Flanagan, aged 15, from Bathgate (Bathgate GC)
- Cameron Grieve, aged 15, from Crieff (Crieff GC)
- Rowan Carey, aged 15, from Auchterarder (Crieff GC)
- Robert Watson, aged 17, from Dollar (Muckhart GC)
- Calum Graham, aged 17, from Crieff (Crieff GC)
Grace Crawford, aged 8 from North Berwick, said: “I am very happy to be part of The Gleneagles Foundation because it will set me on the right track to make me as good as I can be.”
Cormac Sharpe, aged 11 from Blairgowrie, said: “I’m so happy to be part of the Gleneagles Foundation as I want to be a professional golfer and this will help make my dream come true. I can’t wait for it to start as I love practicing at Gleneagles – the place is amazing for golf.”
Colin Montgomerie commented: “I’m delighted to have been asked here today to meet these talented young golfers, and be part of their special day. I hope they will one day go on to achieve great things with the support of The Gleneagles Foundation – it’s imperative that we continue to nurture junior talent in golf on the back of such a successful golfing year for Perthshire.”
The Foundation Players were selected by Gleneagles’ Golf Professionals after two Open Days, and will now have access to a range of benefits, including one year’s worth of coaching and one-to-one tuition; complimentary golf rounds; access to the PGA National Academy of Scotland practice facilities; consultations with personal trainers and the hotel’s ESPA Life team; support from Gleneagles’ partners in the form of equipment and attire; and invitations to exclusive events and clinics.
Gary Silcock, Gleneagles’ Director of Golf, commented: “We are truly thrilled to unveil our ‘dream team’ of junior golfers. The standard of applicant was really high, and level of skill that some of these youngsters are demonstrating at a young age honestly took us a little by surprise. It’s certainly an encouraging sign for the future of golf in Scotland and we hope that, with the right support, we can help them harness this talent and progress their game even further. We’re about to celebrate the one year anniversary of the 2014 Ryder Cup at Gleneagles – who knows, perhaps we have some future European Team players on our hands today.”
The Gleneagles Hotel www.gleneagles.com
View more stories about ‘Growing The Game’ and latest list of Most-read stories