A total of 43,530 children aged under 15 – compared to 26,746 in January 2006 – are members at the TopGolf centres in Addlestone, Surrey, Chigwell, Essex and Watford, Herts.
TopGolf Director of Instruction Adam McKinlay said: “We’re delighted that so many youngsters have been coming through the doors. To increase the numbers by 62 per cent in five years is fantastic.
“The perception of golf has changed dramatically in recent years. Kids now grow up wanting to be the next Lee Westwood or Ian Poulter. We work closely with the children in local schools, so they associate TopGolf with an enjoyable learning environment. At their age it is all about having fun.”
TopGolf, with the help of their Associates on the PGA-backed development scheme, plan and organise TriGolf coaching sessions in local schools near the three centres.
McKinlay added: “The TopGolf Associate programme allows us to send qualified instructors into schools. The Associates, who are working towards a Level 3 PGA coaching qualification, gain valuable experience whilst acting as a friendly face for kids to recognise when they come to our centres. It is no coincidence that our time in the community mirrors the increase in numbers of children.”
There are currently more than 198,298 active members at the target driving ranges, which employ nearly 200 staff.
TEN Things You Never Knew About TopGolf
- TopGolf target ranges are fun, competitive, and entertaining all year round for players of all ages and abilities
- The golf balls at TopGolf are unique – and very hi-tech. They each contain a microchip that tracks the ball into the targets, and awards points for distance and accuracy after every shot
- Electronic scoreboards in the driving bays total up the points – so players, or teams of players, can compete against each other
- TopGolf has target ranges with a total of 147 all-weather driving bays at their three centres in Bushey Mill Lane, Watford, Herts, WD24 7AB; Moated Farm Drive, New Haw Road, Addlestone, Surrey, KT15 2DW and Abridge Road, Chigwell, Essex, IG7 6BX. There are three TopGolf centre in the United States. For more information go to www.topgolf.com
- Friendly bay hosts serve food and drink in the driving bays as you play! TopGolf centres are popular venues for weddings, private parties, birthday parties, stag and hen nights, team-building and corporate events
- TopGolf raises money for charities including Help for Heroes, Great Ormond Street Hospital and Shooting Star
- In 2009, TopGolf’s three centres entertained 483,213 players who got through 27,513,640 golf balls
- Sixteen members of TopGolf staff are on the PGA Associates Scheme, which provides them with business training, and time to improve their golf skills. Associate Daisy Dyer is the reigning Essex Open Ladies’ Champion
- The Associates run golf skills programmes with local schools, funded by the Government-backed School Sports Partnership. TopGolf centres run summer holiday camps for children of all ages
- TopGolf centres are active in their local communities arranging quiz nights, raffle nights and lunches for pensioners