As it celebrates 50 years of golf, Spain’s award-winning Costa Brava region prepares itself for an expected influx of more than 40,000 UK golfers and holidaymakers following the launch of three new Jet2.com routes to the area.
The UK’s popular low-cost airline will expand its summer 2016 programme with 119 new flights direct to Girona-Costa Brava airport from three main Jet2.com hubs – Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle –between May and September.
Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays, said: “Our Spanish routes are some of the most popular so we’re thrilled to be further expanding these with one direct to Girona, giving our customers even more new and exciting places to visit. This latest addition shows our ongoing commitment in giving people the best choice of holiday spots direct from their local airports. I’m confident it will be extremely popular for us this year and beyond.”
Ramón Ramos, Director of the Costa Brava Girona Tourist Board, predicts travelling golfers will form a healthy part of the estimated 40,700 people expected to use the new services: “There is little doubt that the region’s golf courses and resorts will benefit from Jet2.com’s impending new services. With the new bi-weekly flights being operated to and from Girona, we anticipate an increase in tourists wanting to play golf and experience some of the region’s best courses, including Spain’s number one, PGA Catalunya Resort*.”
As part of the agreement, Jet2.com will also offer package breaks to the Costa Brava region, giving visitors the opportunity to choose from a variety of city, beach and activity holidays.
“Visitors will also be able to sample our acclaimed Catalan cuisine and the region’s popular Empordà Wine Route, as well as experience Costa Brava’s culture and rich history, taking in sights like the Dalí Triangle or the Old Quarter in Girona,” added Ramón Ramos.
Visitors keen to combine their trip with a round of golf are spoilt for choice with many exceptional courses, including:
- Empordà Golf, European Top 100 ranked, 36-hole resort
- Golf de Pals, the region’s oldest golf course, celebrating its 50th anniversary this year
- Club de Golf Peralada, the region’s northern-most course
- Torremirona Golf Club, with stunning views of the Pyrenees
- Club de Golf Costa Brava, one of the region’s oldest courses
- Club Golf d’Aro Mas Nou, offering spectacular vistas 300m above sea-level
- Golf Girona, the only course in Spain sown entirely with Penncross grass
- Par 3 Gualta, perfect for those looking to perfect their short game.
Jet2.com joins Transavia and Ryanair on the roster of airlines servicing the region’s Girona-Costa Brava airport in 2016, increasing the number of companies servicing the coastal region of north-eastern Spain to 40.
* As ranked by Top100golfcourses.co.uk
Costa Brava www.costabrava.org