A team of top class coaches, including PGA captain Parnell Reilly, will again be among the most popular golfers in action at this year’s Open Championship at Royal Birkdale as they give more than 1,200 free lessons to youngsters.
Throughout this week twenty-five PGA pros will be on hand to give their skill and expertise to hundreds of young golfers at the R&A Junior Golf Centre.
The centre has become a popular attraction at Open Championships, enabling youngsters up to the age of 16 to soak up the atmosphere of golf’s greatest tournament, see their heroes in action and then get some first class coaching too.
Reilly, head professional at Bradley Park in Huddersfield, has personal experience the impact good coaching can have on encouraging the next generation of youngsters into the sport and is delighted to be lending a helping hand.
“I hear so much that kids are the future of the game and as a club pro through and through being able to give a little bit of time to coach them is a real privilege,” he said.
“I remember when I was pro at Otley Golf Club we always used to take a couple of the juniors to the Open for a day and their eyes were like saucers when they used to see the likes of Nicklaus, Player and Trevino. The thrill they get is unbelievable and it will be the same at Birkdale with Mickelson, Monty, Poulter and Co.
“Only recently I had a call from a former pupil who is now general manager at the Fairmount Hotel in St Andrews. I gave him lessons as an eight-year-old before his family emigrated to Canada but he got back in contact after more than 30 years and said he could still remember the lessons he had as an eight-year-old and that they made a lasting impression on him.
“Hopefully the team of pros will do the same with all these youngsters at Birkdale.”
To book a 15 minute free lesson at Royal Birkdale, youngsters simply have to turn up on the day and arrange a time.
The full team of PGA pros at the R&A Junior Centre this week is:
• Joanne Bates, Hillside Golf Club, Lancashire
• Alan Bradshaw, Bootle Golf Club, Merseyside
• Sharon Brookes, Leisure Lakes Golf Academy, Lancashire
• Gordon Cattrell, Crook Golf Club, Co Durham
• Robert Charlton, Radlett Golf Centre, Hertfordshire
• Ian Cording, De Vere Heron’s Reach, Lancashire
• Geraint Dixon, Bedfordshire Golf Club, Bedfordshire
• Andrew Gordon, Southampton Municipal Golf Club, Hampshire
• Paul Hodgson, De Vere Carden Park, Cheshire
• Stuart Hurstfield, Alyn Waters Golf Course & DR, Wrexham
• Peter Kenwright, Haydock Park Golf Club, Merseyside
• Jason Laszkowicz, Owston Hall Hotel & Golf Club, South Yorkshire
• Mark McEvoy, Blackburn Golf Course & Driving Range, Lancashire
• Andrew Matthews, LETS Golf Academy, Cheshire
• Duncan Moore, Keighley Golf Club, West Yorkshire
• Roy Penney, Whitefield Golf Club, Lancashire
• Parnell Reilly, Bradley Park Golf Club, West Yorkshire
• Martin Robinson, Caldy Golf Club, Merseyside
• Joel Rodwell, Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Lancashire
• Deana Rushworth, Bradley Park Golf Club, West Yorkshire
• James Sharpe, Royal Liverpool Golf Club, Merseyside
• Paul Warner, Portsmouth Golf Course, Hampshire
• John Watson, totalgolfanalysis, Cheshire
• Colin Williams, Fakenham Golf Club, Norfolk
• Andrew Wylie, Ardeer Golf Club, Ayrshire
Visit www.PGA.info for up to date reports from all national and regional PGA tournaments.