A plethora of established PGA Professionals brushed shoulders with the ‘new kids on the block’ as they were recognised for their educational achievements at this year’s PGA graduation ceremony.
The ceremony, at the University of Birmingham, annually celebrates those at the beginning of their careers.
However, in recent years it has also acknowledged those PGA Professionals that have attained further PGA qualifications.
This year’s event saw a total of 11 PGA Professionals, of which four were in attendance, receive awards across the broad spectrum offered by The PGA, including PGA Director of Golf, PGA Advanced Diploma and the PGA Advanced Certificate.
These qualifications, all of which are assessed, are a test of the PGA Professionals skills and knowledge in their chosen work-related role.
Six PGA Professionals attained a prized Director of Golf certificate during the past 12 months. These were:
- Anthony Caira – Head PGA Professional, Kirkcaldy Golf Club (PGA Advanced Professional)
- Tim Neil – Director of Golf, Al Badia Golf Club (PGA Advanced Professional)
- James Shippey – Golf Club Manager, Al Badia Golf Club (PGA Class AA Professional)
- David Lilley – Store Manager, American Golf (PGA Class AA Professional)
- Robert Simpson – General Manager, Kedleston Park Golf Club (PGA Fellow Professional)
- Danny Spillane – Club Manager, Rothley Park Golf Club (PGA Class AA Professional)
Tim Neil, who had previously focused on coaching, said: “After taking the decision three years ago to move from a coaching position into club operations and management I was looking for a course that would guide me in the right direction.
“The PGA Director of Golf program is a great initiative and resource for understanding the business. It gives an in depth insight into aspects of the business from revenue management, club management, food & beverage and even yielding of hotel rooms. It gives the PGA Professional who is interested in the management side of the business a clear developmental pathway to achieve it.”
Robert Simpson added: “The programme itself is very inclusive, it covers all aspects of a golf club business whether it is a proprietary, resort or private members club, and it has certainly given me the confidence to run a golf club. The course gives you the tools that help with the transition from the professionals shop into the golf club boardroom.”
Receiving a PGA Advanced Diploma were:
- Adam Jones – PGA Qualified Professional, La Moye Golf Club (PGA Class A Professional)
- Rupert Hunter – Owner & PGA Professional, Hunter Knight Golf Coaching (PGA Class AA Professional)
The PGA Advanced Certificate in Coaching Studies was awarded to:
- David Meaney – Head Professional, Lauterhofen Golf Club (PGA Class AA Professional)
The PGA Advanced Certificate in Golf Business Theory was awarded to:
- Ashley Northridge – Director of Hotel & Golf, Arcos Gardens Golf and Country Estate (PGA Class AA Professional)
The PGA Advanced Certificate in Golf Studies was awarded to:
- David Shepherd – Director of Golf, Monte Rei Golf & Country Club (PGA Class AA Professional)
To learn any more about any of The PGA’s Qualifications contact firstname.lastname@example.org