Global Edition

 

Dawson on Woods’ withdrawal from The Open

8.54am 6th July 2011 - People - This story was updated on Wednesday, July 6th, 2011

Chief Executive of The R&A, Peter Dawson has wished Tiger Woods all the best for his rehabilitation, after the three-time Open Champion announced that he will not be able to contest this year’s Open Championship. Woods is still suffering from knee and achilles problems, which have not recovered in time for him to take his place at golf’s oldest Major.

Dawson said: “I know how disappointed Tiger is not to be able to play in The Open this year. Naturally, we are sorry that a player of his calibre isn’t able to join us at Royal St George’s, but we wish him well in his recovery and hope to see him back soon, competing in front of the fans that love to see him play the game.”

Woods said earlier in a statement, “Unfortunately, I’ve been advised that I should not play in the British Open. As I stated at the AT&T National, I am only going to come back when I’m 100 percent ready. I do not want to risk further injury. That’s different for me, but I’m being smarter this time. I’m very disappointed and want to express my regrets to the British Open fans”.

Woods will be replaced by the USA’s Jason Dufner, who made his Open Championship debut at St Andrews last year, before finishing tied-fifth in the PGA Championship, at Whistling Straits.

Open Championship www.opengolf.com

 

 

 

       

You can see the latest news letter here.

Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.            

Use the buttons above to control the search results you want.

Prefixing a search term with a hyphen will exclude results matching that term.
For example 'green -greenkeeper' will return results containing 'green' but not 'greenkeeper'.