In accordance with tradition, the PGAs of Europe Annual Congress culminated with the presentation of the Association’s most prestigious accolades at the Gala Dinner Annual Awards supported by Rolex that look to recognise the outstanding efforts of individuals and organisations from across the continent.
Six awards were presented at the dinner hosted by Gloria Hotels & Resorts, Turkey, and also supported by the Ryder Cup European Development Trust, along with the official trophy presentation to the 2014 International Team Championship winners, Scotland.
The presentation of the awards provide a chance to throw the spotlight on the efforts and work of exceptional individuals and projects that have benefitted the sport in a variety of ways, such as individual playing performances, golf development activity, and dedication, expertise and passion for coaching in golf.
2014 PGAs of Europe Annual Award Winners:
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Bernard Gallacher OBE – Awarded for exceptional achievements in golf.
- Christer Lindberg Bowl: Dr. Philip Weaver OBE – Awarded to individuals or organisations in recognition for their services to golf.
- 5-Star Professional Award: Filippo Barbé – Contributions to the Profession in the PGA Professional’s many and varied areas of expertise and activity, such as tournament play, leadership, education, or long and meritorious service in the sport.
- John Jacobs Award for Teaching & Coaching: Salvador Luna – Given to a person who has excelled as a Golf Coach with any types of players be they elite or beginners.
- President’s Award for Golf Development [Project]: ClubGolf Scotland (presented to ClubGolf Scotland Manager, Jackie Davidson) – Acknowledging the work of a project that has excelled in developing the game of golf.
- President’s Award for Golf Development [Individual]: Allan Martin – Acknowledging the work of an individual that has excelled in developing the game of golf.
The Annual Gala Awards follow on from the main four-day Congress event that brings together a diverse range of representatives from throughout the PGAs of Europe member countries, and allows award winners from across those countries to be recognised on a European platform.
“It was an honour to receive the Lifetime Achievement Award and follow in the footsteps of previous recipient and friend, Tony Jacklin,” explained Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Bernard Gallacher OBE. “The Annual Congress is an important event for the development of golf in Europe and the awards evening highlighted the good work done by normally unheralded hard-working Professionals from all over the continent.”
John Jacobs Award for Teaching & Coaching winner, Salvador Luna, added, “I truly felt myself inside a close and familiar atmosphere at the event, where I could receive the warmness from all delegates. I think the Congress is so profitable for all delegates in terms of networking and sharing ideas in order to improve and develop good practices and strategies in their countries.”
PGAs of Europe www.pgae.com
View more stories about People in the business and latest list of Best-read stories