Putter designer Scotty Cameron is celebrating the long-running success of Titleist staff player Justin Thomas with the introduction of the new ‘Inspired by Justin Thomas’ Phantom X5.5 putter.
Available from September 22 in select Titleist stockists around the world, and priced at $850, the limited-release model is designed to the specifications of the putter that Thomas has used in winning 12 of his 13 PGA Tour titles – including the 2017 PGA Championship – and most recently, the 2020 WGC-FedEx St Jude Invitational. Cameron has created exactly 2,020 Inspired by Justin Thomas putters for worldwide distribution.
Each model incorporates the custom setup that Cameron crafted for Thomas in the summer of 2016 – combining the high-MOI wingback head style with a welded small slant neck that promotes an arced putting stroke more commonly associated with a blade.
To commemorate this special release, Cameron and team created a “Circle JT” emblem that is engraved on the heel of the putter face.
Cameron said: “Justin Thomas is one of those unique players who only comes around once or twice in a generation. He first visited the Putter Studio as a young amateur when he played a Newport 2. He loved that traditional putter look. But even after getting his first tour win with the blade, he started to consider a change. He poked around our putter bag on the Tour Van and was initially drawn to the Futura X5 – the compact mallet shape really suited his eye.
“After some back-and-forth discussions, I welded him a small slant neck as a prototype setup – and here we are, 12 PGA Tour wins later and still counting with the same putter – including a major championship, two World Golf Championships and a FedEx Championship. Players are always asking me for a welded-neck putter like JT’s. It’s a special setup that deserves this kind of treatment.”
Thomas, who is currently ranked no.3 in the world, said: “This was an extremely cool project for me to work on with Scotty. When I first saw the 5.5, I immediately noticed how nicely it sits down on the green. The neck just makes it sit so square. In the beginning, I was only thinking it would give me something different to look at for a couple weeks – yet here I am – four-something years later and still using it. So, I guess it’s worked out pretty well.”
• Multi-material head with solid face technology features a standard-milled solid 303 stainless steel face that extends through the wings, while the 6061 aircraft aluminum sole plate allows for superior weight distribution to increase MOI and stability.
• The shaft is set at 34.5 inches with 10g customisable stainless steel heel and toe weights for proper balance and increased stability throughout the stroke.
• Welded small slant neck – hand welded on every putter like JT’s original prototype – provides increased toe flow for the mallet head style.
• Signature markings – including a special ‘Circle JT’ emblem engraved into the face heel, and Thomas’ signature designed into the aluminum sole plate – complete the “Inspired by” look and feel.
• Solid milled stainless steel construction is milled in the United States from a block of solid 303 stainless steel for legendary performance and playability with consistent sound and soft feel.
Every Inspired by Justin Thomas putter features a raw stainless steel finish a unique bead blast for a glare-resistant appearance. It is fitted with a Pistolero Plus grip in cement grey with black lettering and comes with an embroidered headcover.