Abacus Sportswear is the Official Clothing Supplier to The European Solheim Cup Team that will take on Team America in Colorado, 13-18 August 2013.
Following the announcement of the Team at the Ricoh Women’s British Open at St Andrews, including Captain Liselotte Neumann’s wildcard picks, here are 10 facts you might not know about the Swedish golf clothing brand:
- Abacus Sportswear first dressed the European Solheim Cup Team in 2007, when the event took place at Halmstad, Sweden.
- In total, players, caddies, guests and team officials of The Solheim Cup 2013 will receive 2,922 items of abacus® clothing.
- An estimated 320 yards of DryCool™ material has been used in the European team’s Forged and Gorce polos, helping players stay dry and comfortable in the humid Colorado climate.
- Special fibres have been used in the abacus® garments, providing the 2013 Solheim Cup team with extra protection against the sun’s UV rays.
- The Solheim Cup crest requires careful coordination of six colours and 9,700 stitches.
- A total of 6,876 golden stars will feature on the European Team’s 2013 Solheim Cup garments.
- To date, abacus® has supplied 288 outfits to European Solheim Cup and PING Junior Solheim Cup teams.
- Since Abacus Sportswear was appointed Official Solheim Cup Clothing Supplier in 2007, Sweden has been the most represented country in Team Europe.
- Abacus Sportswear was founded in 1991 – a year after the first Solheim Cup – by Sven-Olof Karlsson. The brand soon became famous for its stretchable fabrics and breathable outerwear.
- Abacus Sportswear is based close to the university town of Lund, near Malmo, in Southern Sweden.
Abacus Sportswear www.abacussportswear.com