Nike Golf’s newest putter, the OZ Black T130 Oversized Mallet, has arrived in golf shops and golf specialty stores across Europe, Middle East and Africa after making its official professional tour debut in Michelle Wie’s bag last week. Wie putted with the distinctive looking OZ Black T130 at last week’s Fields Open on the LPGA Tour, having used a prototype of the putter since she turned professional in October of 2005.
The OZ Black T130, which has a suggested retail price of £129, €179, SEK 1595 is the latest addition in Nike Golf’s OZ Black family of three putters. Available in 34 and 35 inches, the OZ Black T130 has the highest Moment of Inertia (MOI) or resistance to twisting in the entire OZ putter line. This added stability is provided by two 65-gram tungsten weights that are positioned rearward in the extreme heel and toe of the clubhead. Moving weight rearward in the putter reduces skidding for a truer roll while the polarity of the tungsten weights provide the stability on off-centre hits to keep putts on their intended line.
Feedback from Nike Golf’s Tour Staff is an ever-important component in the design and engineering of Nike Golf’s products. In the case of the OZ Black family, the namesake black colour of the new OZ Black T130 Oversize Mallet, OZ Black T100 Mallet and OZ Black T160 Blade was the creative influence of Nike Golf Tour Staff member Stewart Cink.
It was Cink’s observation during the putter’s prototype stage that the colour black made the putter head visually not as large and hence more pleasing to the eye. It was his opinion that a more attractive visual for the player leads to greater putting confidence, even before Nike Golf’s leading technology gets to work its magic.
The leading technology in each of Nike Golf’s OZ Black putters features the following:
- Dual Density Weighting – This combines a lightweight aluminium body (65% lighter than steel) with high-density tungsten weight plugs moving weight away from the clubface to reduce skidding on putts of all lengths.
- Polymer Insert – In addition to enhancing feel, the soft polymer insert keeps the ball in contact with the face longer to promote truer role. The ultra lightweight (64% lighter than aluminium) polymer also allows for more perimeter weighting which increases clubhead stability.
- CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) Milled Face – Each putter face is milled flat to precise tolerances to enhance accuracy and predictability across the clubface.
- Face Balanced – All OZ Black putters are faced balanced to promote a square face at impact.
- Dual Site Lines – The dual site lines facilitate squaring the clubface at address to keep putts on target.
- C-Thru Grip by Lamkin – Soft, high-track thermoplastic rubber paddle-style grip.
Nike Golf www.nikegolfeurope.com