Phil Mickelson’s quest to add a third green jacket to his wardrobe may begin with a groundbreaking change in equipment strategy. The Callaway Golf Staff Professional is expected to announce that he’ll be adding the Company’s new I-MIX interchangeable driver system to his arsenal of weapons this week at the Masters.
Mickelson used the I-MIX Driver in practice rounds last week at the Shell Houston Open and was very pleased with the results. The news comes as Callaway Golf’s much anticipated I-MIX Technology prepares to enter the marketplace amid a buzz of demand.
Callaway Golf’s new I-MIX Technology pairs interchangeable heads and shafts to provide professional and every day golfers the ultimate in driver customisation and personalisation. The new technology, which capitalises on the U.S. Golf Association and Royal & Ancient’s rule change on club adjustability, allows golfers to reconfigure drivers to face the unique challenges and conditions of their scheduled rounds.
I-MIX combines the features of Callaway Golf’s top-selling FT-5 and FT-i Driver heads with over 70 shafts, offering more than 1,500 clubhead/shaft combinations – more than any other system in the industry.
“No one’s swing is the same from day-to-day – neither are the weather or the course conditions,” said Jeff Colton, senior vice president of research and development for Callaway Golf. “Our I-MIX technology allows players to quickly and easily customise their equipment, every time they play.”
Mickelson is not the first Tour Professional to utilise this new technology. Callaway Golf Staff Professional and World No. 3 ranked golfer, Ernie Els used an FT-i I-MIX driver in tournament play back in February 2008, whilst newly signed Callaway Golf Staff Professional Marcel Siem used an 8.5Â° FT-i I-MIX Driver at the recent Estoril Open de Portugal.
In addition to the clubhead and shaft options, I-MIX Technology includes Callaway Golf’s Opti-Fit® Weighting System, which lets golfers choose a Draw or Neutral centre of gravity (CG) position to help counteract their most common swing flaws for longer and straighter drives.
Callaway Golf I-MIX Technology will soon be available at select golf retail outlets across Europe. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices for the FT-5 and FT-i clubheads are £279/€389 and £299/€429 respectively, while prices for shafts range from £99/€129 to £289/€419.
“I-MIX gives every golfer the ability to create the perfect driver for their game, the course and the conditions on a day-to-day basis,” said Callaway Golf Europe managing director, Neil Howie. “Just like Phil and Ernie, all golfers can now optimise their equipment like a tour professional and, using a combination of different heads with neutral or draw bias weighting, plus a variety of shafts, effectively create a different driver for every eventuality.”
Callaway Golf’s I-MIX system offers a solution for almost every condition met during the course of play:
• Hot: A driver clubhead with less loft and/or a stiffer shaft may improve launch conditions.
• Windy: A driver clubhead with less loft and/or a heavier shaft can result in a more penetrating ball flight.
• Cold: A driver clubhead with more loft and/or a lighter, more flexible shaft may improve launch conditions.
• Wet, Soft Fairways: A driver clubhead with more loft and/or a more flexible shaft can increase carry yardage.
• Dry, Hard Fairways: A driver clubhead with less loft and/or a stiffer shaft provides a flatter ball flight resulting in more roll.
• Short & Tight Course Position: A shorter and/or heavier shaft offers more control.
• Long & Open Course Position: A longer and/or lighter shaft can increase clubhead speed resulting in extra distance.
Callaway Golf www.callawaygolf.com/imix