The European Tour has postponed the staging of the Open de France, scheduled to take place at Le Golf National from May 6-9, due to the recent extension of COVID-19 restrictions across France announced last week.
Both the European Tour and the FFG will continue to work together in an effort to reschedule the tournament later in the 2021 schedule.
Keith Pelley, European Tour Chief Executive, said: “It is clearly disappointing to have to postpone the Open de France, particularly after all the hard work and collaboration between ourselves, the FFG and the many stakeholders involved to stage the tournament in May. But we feel it is the responsible decision.
“We have also had terrific support from host Grégory Havret and the 12 other French players who had committed to playing at Le Golf National and we will therefore continue to look at all options in the hope of playing the tournament later this year.”
Pascal Grizot, President of the Fédération Française de Golf, said: “We have worked very closely with the European Tour staff and various French authorities over the last couple of months and, through this involvement, have been able to overcome many obstacles.
“However, despite this, we feel that in the current climate it is neither reasonable nor responsible to stage the event in May. We will keep on working hand in hand with the European Tour in order to try to find an alternative date for the Open de France, that could allow us to host spectators and patrons.”
The European Tour is currently looking into all options available in an attempt to fill the now vacant May 6-9 slot on the calendar.