As a result of the numerous and far reaching effects of the current Coronavirus pandemic, Black Knight International has taken the decision to cancel the Gary Player Invitational golf tournaments in London and New York. The statement reads:
“This decision has been taken in consultation with stakeholders and sponsors, who were unanimous in taking the difficult decision not to go ahead with the Gary Player Invitational events in these respective countries.
“Following our decision in January to cancel the Abu Dhabi leg of the Gary Player Invitational series, we were hopeful that the global situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic would improve.
“However, the pandemic continues to severely affect the United Kingdom and the United States of America and we have to act responsibly and compassionately to protect the health and wellbeing of everyone involved.
“Uppermost in our mind has been the health and safety of all of those who come together to make each Gary Player Invitational event so special – the public in the UK and USA and friends from around the world, our players, guests, staff, partners and contractors – as well as our broader responsibility to society’s efforts to tackle this truly extraordinary period in our lives.
“In lieu of staging the events in Abu Dhabi, London and New York, The Player Foundation will hold an online auction to help raise much needed funds for our various charitable beneficiaries who need our support more than ever.
“These considerations are particularly related to the concerns brought about by large gatherings and the strain on the medical and emergency services, as well as movement and travel restrictions both within the UK, USA and around the world.
“Furthermore, in the event that significant progress is made in fighting and beating the global pandemic, special consideration has also been given to the health and wellbeing of tournament host, Gary Player.
“Marc Player, CEO of Black Knight International commented, ‘Whilst we care deeply about the GPI Series and it is the first time in over 20 years that we have cancelled our events, we simply have to act responsibly to protect the health and wellbeing of everyone involved. As much as Gary Player is still a force of nature, putting my father’s health at unnecessary risk is never an option.’
“As we continue to monitor the on-going situation and receive clarity in the coming weeks, we will make a further decision on whether or not to proceed with the South African leg of the Gary Player Invitational series, currently scheduled for November 2020.”