The British & International Golf Greenkeepers Association and Partner ICL have revealed the five recipients of the fifth ICL Scholarship, with a greenkeeper from the Scottish island of Jura able take advantage of a new online format.
Restrictions relating to COVID-19 and concerns for the health of potential attendees have led to BIGGA’s annual education conference being hosted as an entirely online event, meaning this year’s scholars will enjoy a new learning experience from the comfort of their own homes.
The new platform will allow Laura Sayer-Hall from Ardfin Golf Club to access BIGGA’s renowned education programme online, saving her a 700-mile, 18-hour round trip from her home in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland.
The successful BIGGA members chosen for the scholarship are:
- Laura Sayer-Hall, assistant greenkeeper, Ardfin (Scotland)
- Neil Gilham, course manager, Reigate Hill (Surrey)
- Jamie Wright, greenkeeper, Sunningdale (Surrey)
- James Matthewman, deputy head greenkeeper, Maesteg (Wales)
- Chris Low, deputy course manager, Olton (Warwickshire)
The ICL Continue to Learn 2021 Scholars will receive a package including:
- An all-access pass to Continue to Learn Virtual education conference in January 2021
- Six online workshops, which is the equivalent of two one-day workshops
- An invite to BTME 2022 including two nights’ accommodation
- A ticket to BIGGA’s National Regional Conference, taking place online on 10 November 2020.
Ed Carter, ICL’s UK Sales and Development Manager, said: “ICL is delighted to sponsor such a worthwhile scheme, enabling BIGGA members to undertake Continuing Professional Development, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. We were once again impressed by the calibre of the applicants and had a tough time shortlisting to select the final five. We’re delighted to welcome the five members to our growing community of ICL Scholars.”
Sami Strutt, BIGGA’s Head of Learning and Development, said: “The ICL Continue to Learn Scholarship enables five BIGGA members to continue their quest for professional development and we feel this is even more vital in these unprecedented times. Education is the cornerstone of BIGGA and the ICL Scholarship provides a fabulous opportunity to gain new knowledge and learn new skills.