The Open Championship will return to St Andrews in 2010, from 15 to 18 July. It will mark the 150th anniversary of the playing of the first Open in 1860 at Prestwick.
On 17 October 1860, a mere eight players competed over three rounds of 12 holes against a bogey of 144. From that humble beginning The Open has grown to be recognised throughout the world as the most venerable of the four Majors.
Now, a field of 156 players competes for the custody of the Claret Jug and prize money exceeding £4 million.
Prestwick hosted The Open a further 23 times, the last being in 1925. It is a total only exceeded by St Andrews which is now the most regularly used venue. In 2010 the Home of Golf will be hosting its 28th Open. The Old Course, St Andrews was first used for The Open in 1873 and most recently hosted the 2005 championship that was memorable for Tiger Woods’ second Open title and Jack Nicklaus’ final championship round.
International Qualifying now takes place on five continents and Local Final Qualifying represents the last chance for non-exempt players to gain a place in the field. In 2010, the LFQ courses will be Kingsbarns, Ladybank, Scotscraig and St Andrews Bay, Torrance course. This will be the first time that Kingsbarns and St Andrews Bay have hosted LFQ.
Also, in 2010, the Junior Open will take place at Leven Links and Lundin Golf Club, courses that in the past have hosted a number of R&A championships including LFQ.
The Open Championship www.opengolf.com