Global Edition

Blackpool Airport is major gateway for The Open

12.01am 26th March 2012 - Travel - This story was updated on Sunday, March 25th, 2012

Blackpool Airport can’t wait for the Open Championship to ‘tee off’ as it gears up for one of the busiest periods of 2012.

In partnership with private aircraft operator Pool Aviation, Blackpool Airport is expected to be the major gateway for competitors, spectators, officials and sponsors visiting the region for the international tournament to win The Claret Jug from 15-22 July 2012.

As the closest airport to the Championship course, Blackpool Airportand Pool Aviation will be providing a wide range of VIP services including flight arrival and departure formalities as well as shuttle transfers directly to the course at Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club.

Sue Kendrick, Corporate Affairs Manager at Blackpool Airport, said: “Blackpool Airport is ideally located for direct and easy access into the heart of the Lancashire coast for The Open 2012. The airport offers a wide range of excellent private flight services and is only a 10 minute drive from the Championship course at Links Gate.

“We’re already preparing for what we believe will be an extremely busy and exciting July. We’re expecting record numbers of passengers and relish the opportunity to support the world’s golfing elite for this prestigious tournament.

“It’s also the perfect opportunity to showcase Blackpool, the Fylde andLancashireand we wish all who are participating in the challenge for the Claret Jug every success.”

The last time The Open was held at Royal Lytham St Annes was in 2001 and preparation for the 2012 event is now in full swing with tens of thousands of visitors expected to descend on the region.

Simon Menzies, Managing Director of Pool Aviation based in Hangar 3 at the airport, said: “Pool Aviation is a long established private aircraft operator based atBlackpoolAirportwith an outstanding reputation for its professional and courteous service.

“We have already begun taking a significant number of bookings for arrival and departure slots before and after The Open including the arrival of a Boeing Business Jet – the biggest business jet of its kind.

“As we head closer towards the event, we predict that there will be significantly more demand so anyone planning to use our facilities should make enquiries as soon as possible by completing the necessary booking form available online from either Pool Aviation orBlackpoolAirport’s websites.”

Blackpool Airport is 95% owned by Regional & City Airports (Blackpool) Ltd, with the remaining 5% owned by Blackpool Borough Council. RCA acquired their interest in the airport on 8th May 2008.

Airlines that fly from Blackpool Airport include Aer Lingus, and flying scheduled routes to Alicante, Belfast, Dublin, Faro, Isle of Man, Jersey, Malaga, Murcia, Palma and Tenerife.

Visit or

In related news... (GBN) is for the many thousands of people who work in the golf business all around the world.

We cover the full range of topics both on and off the course. We aim to supply essential information both quickly and accurately in a format which is easy to use. We are independent of all special interest groups.


Click here to sign up for our free twice weekly golf industry news summary

View the latest newsletter here