Golf Environment Europe has launched a new on line resource – www.golfenvironmenteurope.org The website aims to:
- Provide information to golf course managers, greenkeepers, owners, developers and architects, that will be of practical assistance as they strive to integrate environmental issues into their course management and development;
- Provide external organisations such as government agencies and environmental non government organisations with a platform to communicate to the golf sector;
- Promote examples of environmental sustainability within golf course management and development, and within the wider manufacturing and supply sectors;
- Promote the greening of golf events;
- Compliment, support and add value to the efforts of golfing organisations, by acting as an objective ‘shop window’ of information on the activities of golf organisations, and national golf environment initiatives.
Referring to the website, Maria Strandberg, chair of the European Forum for Golf and Environment said, “This website is a valuable addition to the golf sector’s efforts to tackle environmental issues. It is fundamental to the better exchange of information with government and environmental bodies. It will improve communication and raise awareness within the golf sector itself. Over time it will develop into a centre for technical information on ways to better address issues such as water, landscape and biodiversity conservation; on how to adapt to and mitigate against climate change, and about how to minimise waste and energy consumption.”
She added, “We will also use the site to provide open access to the work of the Forum for Golf and Environment, to ensure its total transparency. We want the outside world to be able to see the discussions that golfing and environmental organisations are engaged in, and the types of practical projects golf is working on to address these major societal issues.”
Jonathan Smith, chief executive of GEE, said, “We hope the European golf sector will embrace this resource. The site is now ready to be further developed and extended. We want to do this with input from practitioners from across Europe. If you have something for the technical library; some golf environment news; information on initiatives in your country, or perhaps can provide a case study, then we want to hear from you. Likewise, we would like environmental organisations to use the site as a platform to get their messages into golf. The site will also act as a portal into the activities of the many golf organisations which are increasingly developing their own environmental programmes.”
The development of the website has been facilitated with funding from Deutsche Bank.
Golf Environment Europe is a not for profit, partnership led body working to promote environmental sustainability in golf.
Golf Environment Europe www.golfenvironmenteurope.org