Play Golf America was launched in 2004 as an industry-wide marketing campaign designed to introduce people to golf, plus improve their ability to play and enjoy the game. As a result, millions of players nationwide have taken advantage of free and low-cost Play Golf America programs delivered by PGA and LPGA professionals.
More than 3.4 million people have participated in group instruction at the grass-root level, for an average of 678,000 students per year over Play Golf America’s five-year history.
Branded Play Golf America programs have reached 1.28 million consumers since 2004 through participation in Play Golf America Days, special events and National Promotions such as PGA Free Fitting and Trade-Up Month, PGA Free Lesson Month, American Express® Women’s Golf Month and Family Golf Month with Take Your Daughter to the Course as its cornerstone. In addition, an average of 5.5 million golfers participated in leagues and outings per year during that same time frame.
“We are certainly excited that so many golfers, including families are taking advantage of the programs that Play Golf America offers,” said PGA of America president Jim Remy. “Play Golf America provides fun, flexible, and affordable golf options for all, and the opportunity to get outdoors, spend time with family and friends, and experience this wonderful sport. PGA and LPGA Professionals continue to lead the way in making the game fun and enjoyable for everyone.”
As the industry’s leading player-development program, Play Golf America was developed by The PGA of America with the support of founding organizations including: the Ladies Professional Golfer’s Association, National Golf Course Owners Association, PGA TOUR, United States Golf Association and other Golf 20/20 Conference participants.
Below are some of the program’s highlights and record-setting numbers:
• • 3.4 million consumers participated in group instruction, including lessons and clinics over the last five years
• • 1.28 million consumers reached through branded National Promotions, Play Golf America Days and special events throughout the last five years
• • A total of $69 million generated from group instruction revenues over the last three years (stats began in 2006)
• • Since 2007, National Promotions have accounted for a $37.5 million impact to the golf economy over the last two years
• • 40,000 unique programs have been promoted on PlayGolfAmerica.com throughout the past five years
• • 7.3 billion media impressions were made with a value of $138 million in the last five years
The national player-development program is reaching consumers and bringing business to local golf facilities. It is projected that Play Golf America National Promotions, such as PGA Free Fitting & Trade-Up Month, PGA Free Lesson Month, American Express Women’s Golf Month and Family Golf Month have accounted for a $20.7 million impact in 2008 and $16.8 million impact in 2007 to the golf economy.
More than 75 percent of new golfers report that one year after participating in a Play Golf America experience, they played an average of 17 rounds over that 12 month period spending $1,695 on golf-related items. Existing golfers reported playing 44 rounds per year, spending $3,559 on golf-related items.
Play Golf America www.playgolfamerica.com