US market research specialists Pellucid Corp. announces the public release of their definitive account of golf industry health, the 2009 State of the Industry report. The 8th annual report, produced in collaboration with Edgehill Golf Advisors, outlines the case that the golf industry weathered a challenging year relatively well with flat rounds, a modest decline in revenue and equipment sales down in low double-digits.
Key issues addressed and answered in the report include:
- How did the consumer base change, are grow-the-game efforts showing up?
- Are golfers maintaining their involvement level in golf or does interest continue to wane?
- Given the slight decline in national rounds, was weather a contributing factor?
- Was the revenue loss for the average US facility due to a drop in rounds, a decline in rate, less favorable weather or all three?
- At the current pace of annual “negative net supply”, how long will it be before we get back to the 2000 level of supply/demand balance?
- Why stagflation and continuing cost increases are the average operator’s biggest threats to economic health.
- What’s PCI Compliance and the impact of this transfer of liability from financial institutions to retailers and golf facilities?
- Why the industry expectations for customer service, maintenance and marketing need to be raised to effectively compete in 2010
The analysis was presented and discussed among invited guests at 3 presentations during the PGA Merchandise and Golf Industry Shows. The key discussion points among the 225+ participants are incorporated into the final report now available to the general public.
The report has two components: A PowerPoint presentation of 48 charts containing graphs, tables and key bullet points answering the above questions and a 48 page narrative analysis in .pdf format that incorporates the key PowerPoint charts and weaves the story together with colour commentary interpreting the numbers and trends.
The report is available electronically for $249. The rate for current Pellucid clients (purchasing any Pellucid report or service in the past year) is $199. The report can be combined with a subscription to Pellucid’s tri-weekly enewsletter, Outside the Ropes, for $329 (savings of $50 vs. buying separately). Interested parties can email Jim Koppenhaver to order or to obtain a sample of the report at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pellucid Corp. President Jim Koppenhaver comments on the latest evolution of this industry-standard evaluation of industry health saying, “As we prefaced this report at the various presentations, 2009 was not as bad as we had expected on the rounds or facility revenue front while the equipment sector performance came in at the low end of our estimated range.
“That said, many of the industry constituents are in delicate financial situations without much of a reserve so the ‘sideways’ year didn’t help their emotional stability. While there is considerable debate on the prognosis for 2010, we believe that there will continue to be modest declines in all revenue measures based on the continued weak employment figures and only modest recovery in the economics of the average US household. Golfers will continue to golf, they’ll just continue to be sensitive in better managing their cost of golf ranging from equipment purchases to where, when and how frequently they play.
“This established and evolving State of the Industry analysis documents the key elements of how the consumer and golf industry are adapting to this new reality and what indicators will herald the return to revenue growth. For that reason, it should be an indispensable guide for every industry stakeholder and follower.”