After more than one year in planning, the much needed Asian Golf Industry Federation (AGIF) has happened. This is widely considered to be a milestone development because, unlike the United States of America or Europe, there is no effective and structured trade organisation to represent the multi-billion dollar golf trade industry in Asia.
Major stakeholders in the industry have banded together to form this important trade body.
The AGIF is made up of representatives from:
• Golf Equipment Manufacturers
• Golf Course Suppliers
• Golf Management Services
• Golf Course Architects
• Golf Real Estate and Development Companies
• Golf Organizations
• National Golf Associations
• Others (any business associated or affiliated with the golf industry.
The prime mission of the AGIF is to develop and keep pace with the growth of the golf industry in the Asian region on a multi-tiered level.
The AGIF will strive to work on a universal platform with all of its members to deliver a level of service and expertise to the industry and to work towards achieving a recognized global standard in Asia. The AGIF will also work towards offering professional leadership development, ethical standards and responsive services.
The inaugural Board of Management is now in place and is headed by Wong Khen Jee, managing director of Jebsen & Jessen Technology who will serve as President of AGIF.
In a post election interview, the newly elected president said, “The AGIF is long overdue and we are delighted that a bunch of dedicated and committed professionals have got together to get this very Important trade organisation to be organised and launched.”
Khen Jee went on to add, “We will be moving full steam ahead to set out programmes and activities aimed at making the golf industry In Asia truly world-class.”
The other elected officers are:
• Vice President 1 Denise Adams – senior vice president, Kitson & Partners
• Vice President 2 John Holmes – president, Jennings Turf International
• Treasurer Howard Swan – principal, Swan Design
• Secretary Mike Sebastian – publisher, Asian Golf Monthly/Asian Golf Business
Board Member – Golf Course Maintenance Equipment liaison
• Richard Walne – managing director (Asia/Pacific/Australia), The Toro Company
Board Member – Turf and irrigation liaison
• David Ellis – international business manager, Asia/Pacific, Rain Bird International Inc
Board Member – Fertiliser/Pesticide liaison
• Braydon Winch – regional head of professional products, Syngenta
Board Member – Club Management liaison
• Marcus Fishenden – director of operations, Troon Golf
Board Member – Course Design/Project Development liaison
• Paul Stringer – executive vice president, Nicklaus Design
Board Member – Golf Equipment liaison
• Alex Boezeman – president of Asia representative director, Callaway Golf K.K.
Board Member – Training/Education liaison
• Mark Adams – senior vice president/director, IMG Golf Course Services
A full report on the AGIF will appear in the June issue of Asian Golf Business.
The organisation’s web site will be operational by the end of May and the domain address is: www.asiangolfindustryfederation.com