Global Edition

Golf Care and the Changing Face of Golf Insurance

7.35am 14th December 2012 - Corporate

3-time Ryder Cup Captain, Bernard Gallacher is an ambassador for Golf Care

Golf Care, theUK’s largest specialist golf insurer, has announced a significant increase in policy sales on the first anniversary of a landmark court case inScotland. The case saw a golfer awarded almost £400,000 in damages after losing the sight in one eye when he was struck by a wayward golf ball.

The incident no doubt had a profound influence on the golf insurance industry when the presiding judge found the player who struck the ball 70% liable for the damages, despite shouting ‘fore’. The golf club where the incident took place was liable for the remaining 30% for having insufficient warning signs. In the 12 months since the incident, market-leader Golf Care has recorded a 29.7% increase in policy holders, underlining their position as the brand of choice for golfers in theUK.

“There is no doubt that the incident inScotlandlast year brought a great deal of publicity to the golf insurance market. For a long-time it had been accepted that getting hit was just part of the game, however this ruling did not only challenge that way of thinking, but completely contradicted it,” noted John Woosey, Managing Director, Golf Care. “We live in an increasingly litigious society; people are more aware of the dangers that exist on the golf course and the impact an injury could therefore have on their everyday life. As a result, we have seen golfers of all ability, age and gender, taking out specialist golf insurance to ensure that they are protected.”

Golf Care is now readily available in Direct Golf UK and American Golf stores throughout the country, as well as online at, highlighting the popularity of the product and the high-demand for instant coverage.

Furthermore, the brand has signed several new contracts with golf course management companies such as Mytime Golf, renewed agreements with the likes of De Vere, Marriott, MacDonald, and Q-Hotels, as well as leading individual venues such as The Celtic Manor Resort.


You can see the latest news letter here.

Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.            

Use the tabs above to select the section(s) which you wish to search.

Enter the name of the person, place, organisation or topic for which you are searching. Use as many words as required - there is no need to enclose them in quotation marks. Prefixing a search term with a hyphen/minus-sign will exclude results matching that term.

For example 'artificial -turf' will return results containing 'artificial' but not 'turf'.

In each month and year listed below every article that has ever appeared in golfbusinessnews is reproduced in reverse date order.