Global Edition

£2.1m tee times sold through BRS Golf in 2009

8.20am 15th January 2010 - Corporate - This story was updated on Sunday, January 17th, 2010

Brian Smith, Director BRS Golf

The year 2009 has seen online tee time bookings worth more than £2.1m for the 360 golf clubs that use their BRS system, writes Charles de Haan., an increase of just over £1m on 2008. Even more impressive is the fact that in the UK 87% of those tee times booked were made by visitors going directly to the clubs’ websites and paying by credit card. The remaining 13% of online bookings came from the third party marketing channels like and Online Tee Times (

 Clubs need online tee booking systems on their websites

According to Brian Smith, Director, the message for golf clubs is very clear: “If you really want to maximise your green fee income, a club needs to get an online tee time booking system on the club website. But of course it’s not quite that simple: to make online tee time booking really work, clubs need a good website allied to a comprehensive and flexible tee time management system that becomes an integral part of a club’s day-to-day operation.

 “The booking system should also enable a club to build a marketing database, use reports to manage their time sheets to maximise yield, and to do their own marketing via e-mail. Over the last 6 years, we have focused on delivering a system that allows clubs to achieve these fundamental requirements.”

 Integration with 3rd party marketing channels

Brian continues: “3rd party marketing channels are definitely a good option with which to augment revenue, especially with the emergence of companies like, Online Tee Times ( and more recently But you need to be prepared to offer discounted rates to drive volume. We strongly recommend that clubs speak to these companies to see what they can offer, especially as the BRS system is fully integrated with all of these companies.”

 The average value of online tee time bookings per club through BRS in 2009 was £9,100, and as Brian points out, the club gets all the money: “BRS Golf doesn’t take any commission on any of the bookings made directly through their system.”

 The BRS system is the result of 6 years’ of development with the input of 360 clubs, as Brian explains: “We have worked with all sorts of clubs from private members clubs, pay and play clubs and resort clubs. The success of the system is down to ease of use, good support, flexibility, robust software and listening to our customers. That’s why BRS Golf has become the market leader and a sound investment for any club. A customer retention rate of 99% over 6 years confirms this.”

More findings that prove BRS Golf’s online point

The results of the analysis of BRS Golf’s sales and booking results for 2009 also reveal a number of other highly significant findings:

  • Golf clubs should build their own visitors’ email database and do as much of their own marketing as possible. Over 120,000 marketing e-mails were sent throughout 2009 by the BRS clubs every week, underlining how much clubs with BRS are using this particular feature of the system.
  • Online is fast becoming the way visitors book tee times. Bookings through the major marketing channels – primarily and Online Tee Times – with clubs that have the BRS system, grew by almost six times in 2009. Every week, over 300,000 marketing e-mails are sent by the 3rd party marketing channels to their various golfer databases, which is helping push thousands of visitors to those golf clubs that want to sell their available tee times.
  • Members like going online to book both casual and competition tee times. Over 2.8 million members’ bookings were made this way in 2009 at those clubs with the BRS system.
  • BRS Golf customers have access to the largest network of marketing channels and affiliate databases in the UK, and no other tee sheet company offers anything like this level of marketing exposure.

BRS Golf


You can see the latest news letter here.

Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.            

Use the tabs above to select the section(s) which you wish to search.

Enter the name of the person, place, organisation or topic for which you are searching. Use as many words as required - there is no need to enclose them in quotation marks. Prefixing a search term with a hyphen/minus-sign will exclude results matching that term.

For example 'artificial -turf' will return results containing 'artificial' but not 'turf'.

In each month and year listed below every article that has ever appeared in golfbusinessnews is reproduced in reverse date order.