ProQuip Golf, the Preferred Supplier of weatherwear to The 2014 European Ryder Cup Team, today revealed the official rain suit for Paul McGinley’s European Team and details of the Irishman’s 18-month hands-on involvement in its design.
When the first ball is struck in the 40th Ryder Cup at Gleneagles’ PGA Centenary Course on Friday, Team Europe can have total confidence that it is equipped to perform in any weather that might blow in over the Perthshire golf resort.
McGinley chose Scottish company ProQuip Golf – 20 times a preferred supplier to Ryder Cup Teams (European and American) – to design bespoke rain suits and wind tops for his team, caddies and their supporters.
Russell Brooks, general manager of ProQuip Golf, said: “We first sat down with Paul McGinley in March 2013 to start planning the European Team weatherwear.
At every stage Paul displayed an exacting attention to detail and drew upon his vast expertise of how to play golf in all weather conditions. Together we have created outerwear that could prove a 13th man for Team Europe if bad weather hits this week.”
In the event of rain, Team Europe will benefit from a bespoke rain suit created by ProQuip’s expert design team.
Science behind the Suit – The 2014 European Team Rain Suit by ProQuip
- Exclusive DX5 fabric, unique to ProQuip, delivering ultra-lightweight, super soft feeling outer layer that is virtually silent to swing in
- DX5 is a microfibre Polyester outer face fabric with a ground-breaking hydrophilic membrane, featuring millions of tiny pores, each significantly smaller than a water droplet
- The pores allow air to escape without water getting in, delivering the highest levels of breathability and waterproofing available in golf clothing today
- The suit is seam sealed with an innovative inner film called PU Microporous, delivering total waterproofness
- Lightweight inner mesh lining for warmth, breathability and close fit with mid-layers
- Raglan sleeves, with an extended one-piece seam from underarm to collarbone, providing greater freedom of movement around the shoulders, arms and upper torso
- Side adjustor panels to eliminate fabric interference and best-fit around the midriff area
Waterproof zippers with storm flap protection
Each player has been supplied with two waterproof jackets, two playing tops and three pairs of trousers – a total of 84 pieces of weatherwear for the team.
ProQuip Golf weatherwear will also be worn by marshalls, volunteers and staff from The European Tour and Ryder Cup Travel Services. ProQuip Golf has supplied more than 11,000 pieces of clothing to Ryder Cup Europe.
Richard Head, chief fabric technician at ProQuip Golf, said: “The 2014 European Team Ryder Cup suit is, without doubt, the finest rain suit that ProQuip has ever made.
Every time we have been chosen to supply a Ryder Cup Team it drives us to push the boundaries of product innovation and performance and create the perfect blend of playability, comfort and protection against the elements.”
ProQuip plans to introduce elements of the design and fabric composition from The 2014 European Ryder Cup Team suit into its 2015 Collection.
The general public is able to buy replica ProQuip 2014 European Team weatherwear at the official Gleneagles Ryder Cup Merchandise Pavillion, from today, and also online at http://euroshop.rydercup.com
The replica team jacket retails at £220.
ProQuip’s official 2014 Ryder Cup Collection is also on sale now, featuring products from its current collections embroidered with The 2014 Ryder Cup logo. The collection features men’s and ladies rain suits, wind tops and water repellent knitwear pieces.