Organisers of the Hong Kong Open have confirmed that the 61st edition of the tournament will take place at Hong Kong Golf Club next month.
Postponed from its original date in late November due to on-going civil unrest in Hong Kong, the $1 million event, sanctioned by the Asian Tour and the Hong Kong Golf Association, is now scheduled for January 9-12, 2020. The European Tour will continue to stage the tournament, but it will not be a European Tour-sanctioned event.
Keith Pelley, Chief Executive of the European Tour, said: “While we are unable to sanction this edition of the Hong Kong Open due to other tournament commitments, we are delighted to retain an integral role in staging one of Hong Kong’s best-loved sporting events, and we very much look forward to returning next November when the 62nd Hong Kong Open will kick off our 2021 European Tour season.”
Kenneth Lam, President of the Hong Kong Golf Association, added: “The decision to proceed with the 61st edition of the Hong Kong Open in the early new year underlines the commitment of the Hong Kong Golf Association and Hong Kong Golf Club to the on-going development and promotion of the game in Hong Kong and the region. We look forward to welcoming the international golf community back to Hong Kong in January and to showcasing the depth of homegrown talent competing in the tournament.”
Cho Minn Thant, Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer of the Asian Tour, said: “We are pleased to announce the 61st Hong Kong Open will now be the curtain-raiser for our 2020 season. Hong Kong Golf Club has always been one of the favourite stops on the Asian Tour, so last month’s postponement was received with mixed emotions from our membership. We look forward to competing again on the storied fairways of Hong Kong Golf Club in cool conditions in January.”